Thursday 26 January 2017

I sent emails to my Senators regarding my concern for Net Neutrality this is their responses

I live in the state of Wisconsin and in December I became concerned about Net Neutrality being under attack again after reading a post on this subreddit. I unfortunately have not been able to locate the post that inspired me, it was concerning committee appointments that could/would bring Net Neutrality in front of the senate again. I wrote to both of my senators about my concerns and below are their replies:


Senator Tammy Baldwin (D)

Dear u/Gostaverling:

Thank you for contacting me about net neutrality. It is good to hear from you.

I strongly support network neutrality, the guiding principle which ensures that the Internet remains open to all and guarantees everyone equal access. I recognize the important role that openness of the Internet has played in fueling remarkable innovation and the free flow of ideas and expression. I believe the federal government must continue to play a critical role in safeguarding the open and non-discriminatory nature of the Internet.

On February 26, 2015 the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), voted to adopt strong, sustainable rules to protect an open Internet, by reclassifying broadband Internet access as a public utility under Title II of the Communications Act of 1934. I support this decision because it provides bright line rules that will preserve an open Internet by prohibiting activities like blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization, while making clear that over 27 provisions of Title II and 700 associated rules are not relevant to broadband service – including those related to rate-setting and tariffs. On June 14, 2016, The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia affirmed the FCC’s authority to reclassify broadband Internet as a public utility.

Our economy, democracy, and businesses large and small depend on the openness of the Internet for all. As a member of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, which has jurisdiction over telecommunications matters, please be assured of my strong support for the principles of net neutrality, should the Committee consider legislation that may affect the future of an open Internet.

Once again, thank you for contacting my office. It is important for me to hear from the people of Wisconsin on the issues, thoughts and concerns that matter most to you. If I can be of further assistance, please visit my website at http://ift.tt/XioMrE for information on how to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Tammy Baldwin United States Senator


Senator Ron Johnson (R)

Dear u/Gostaverling,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the issue of net neutrality.

On February 26, 2015, unelected bureaucrats at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted 3-2 to impose heavy-handed regulations known as net neutrality on the Internet. The term "net neutrality" might sound good, but it is just a clever name for government control of the Internet.

Since the Clinton administration, the FCC has wisely applied a light regulatory touch to broadband services, resulting in a highly successful broadband industry. The FCC reversed that bipartisan policy decision after consulting with outside interests rather than Congress. The decision is wrong, and the process raises serious questions about the president's inappropriate influence over what is supposed to be an independent agency overseen by Congress.

Thank you again for contacting my office. It is very helpful to hear the views of the constituents I serve. To date, my office has received more than 2,000,000 letters, emails and phone calls. My mission is to provide information to as many people as possible concerning the enormous financial and cultural challenges facing America.

Please see my website at http://ift.tt/1nSoTc4 for additional information. It is an honor representing you and all the people of Wisconsin.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson United States Senator



by Gostaverling http://ift.tt/2k8TuJz

No comments:

Post a Comment