Monday 11 July 2016

TIFU by demolishing a display case through curiosity.

This happened about 4 months ago in Tokyo.

Background: My family and I were wandering about inside of a department store called Tokyu Hands. Tokyo Hands are pretty amazing, because each floor has something different - Floor 1 could have stationery, Floor 2 food, Floor 3 phones, etc.

Story: I'm up near the top, separated from the rest of my family, on the floor that has gadgets and little devices. There's a mini version of those wind-powered Strandbeest, a minimalistic, working, electric guitar (about 30cm long), various gyroscopes and stands, things like that. All really cool stuff, so I decide to look at everything, starting with the display case to my left.

Just over a metre high, it stands near the entrance to the floor. The frames and supports for the cabinet are steel, but the shelves, sides, top, and bottom are sheet glass. On the shelves inside are small gizmos, with the top of the cabinet being dominated by a glass ball about the size of my palm, spinning on a small glass tripod. I can't figure out how this spins without magnets.
So I pick it up.

Or rather, I try to pick it up. The thing's either unrealistically heavy, or somehow attached to the top of the cabinet. Confused, I let go of it, and step back.

And unleash Hell.

The tripod and sphere drops straight through the glass top, and then proceeds to absolutely demolish this cabinet, successively smashing through each shelf (there were about 3 of them). Of course, all this shakes free the panes of glass in the front and back, causing them to lean away drunkenly. Eventually it quiets down, and I'm still half in shock, staring at what was once a display that some poor employee probably spent an hour setting up.

Several of the staff come over to me and start cleaning up and asking if I'm ok, and I'm using my broken Japanese to profusely apologise and ask if I can do anything to help.

Everyone in the room is looking my way, and the heat from my face alone was likely enough to power several of the solar devices throughout the room. I hurry from the floor almost in tears, stepping over the glass on the ground, and flee to the safety of the 'Kitchenwares' floor.

TL;DR: I destroy a display cabinet (and most likely everything on it) by trying to lift an interesting device.



No comments:

Post a Comment