Sunday 17 July 2016

Samsung Galaxy and other Smart Phone Bloatware

So this is just a topic I wanted to bring up to r/technology to see if others have experienced anything similar to this. We all know smart phone companies install bloatware on their devices. This is common practice not only in the smart phone realm, but home computing in general.

My problem was this, I have a Galaxy S5. I recently just updated to the latest version of android Samsung offered. With it came a myraid of other software previously not on my phone. Such as the abomination that is Samsung Plus. This stupid thing is like a hydra with a million other pieces of software that bogged my phone down to a tiny crawl. Samsung Plus stated it was "fixing" my phone and running "diagnostics", bullshit. It told me among other things my battery was "dying". Ok, I thought to myself I mean the phone is getting older and I use it a lot, but what I noticed is the life of my battery was cut in half after Samsung Plus was installed, and it kept throwing up warnings at awful times about battery usage, running out of space, running out of ram, ext..

I finally got sick of having to charge my phone at lunchtime because from 8 a.m. to noon I would lose about 80% battery life. Of course I couldn't normally remove or disable Samsung Plus because me being the idiot I was, I enrolled in Samsung's Software account back when I bought the device, silly me thinking maybe this company might have something to offer...

Anyway the point is I finally rooted my device and went through the meticulous task of culling all bloatware from the device. Magically my battery functions again, the random lag spikes opening texts went away and my 2 something year old phone runs like the day I bought it. (Been on it all morning at this point and I'm still at 85% battery... wow).

So why would Samsung intentionally put system software on a device that totally destroys the experience for the end user I thought? The only conclusion I've come to is to force you to want to buy a new phone. I've been getting letter after letter in the mail and emails about my upgrade time being ready to renew. That I should check out the new S7 and on and on... My curiosity is if within this software is something Samsung could use to systematically degrade devices it want's to "stop supporting" in an effort to make the consumer want a new device thinking theirs is "dying or out of date". That's some pretty shady dirty crap in my opinion, but wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility. Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing on their older devices? Cause there was NOTHING wrong with mine, all my problems in performance stemmed from Samsung Plus. So unless Samsung is intentionally trying to make people want to hate their phone, why force it onto everyone's device if they know it cannot run the software? and has no reason too run it. And falsely claiming my battery was dying, cause it wasn't.

Am I just being a conspiracy theorist or is this possibly a real, underhanded business practice they are employing to sell new phones? Let me know what you think.



by AdmiralCole http://ift.tt/2akNkhP

No comments:

Post a Comment