Wednesday 27 June 2018

Are certain websites abusing cookie policy and "forcing" users to accept advertising cookies?

GDPR kicked in a while ago now and as a resident of the EEA I have had the option to reject tracking cookies. As most of you know, most websites will ask you to either Accept Cookies or "manage cookies" whereby you can reject certain cookies based on purpose.

As a rule, I take the time to opt out of advertising tracking. I don't mind advertising - I just don't want to be profiled and tracked by them - as is my right as a European resident. Some sites forward you to third-parties to register your choices such as http://youronlinechoices.eu/ or https://www.youradchoices.com/ where I have previously registered my choices.

Now here's the problem - even after registering your choices, some sites simply keep the "Accept" cookies banner live in what appears to be an attempt to force you to override your choices and accept advertising cookies. An example is the Vox network. this is after registering my opt-out:

Front page and Article

It's essentially unusable on mobile:
Front page and Article

All of the sites in their network are like this. I contacted the webmasters weeks ago but never got a response so I guess they're aware of it and it's by design.

Does anyone know if this is compliant and how widespread the practice is? Are there ways to circumvent this?

Personally, I've actually stopped using websites that do this but am worried it may become more widespread.



by jamesdownwell https://ift.tt/2yJx21S

No comments:

Post a Comment