Monday 1 January 2018

The Alienware subreddit removed this post, so I'm posting here instead.

Over the last 8-9 years, I've bought several alienware laptops for either me or the wife. I've owned 3-4 myself and she's had about the same number.

Initially, these were great machines. You paid more, but the quality was there. A machine failing within 2 years of purchase was rare.

The last couple of machines I've purchased have just gotten worse and worse. It started a few years ago when the wife's display/lid started physically separating from the rest of the unit. Then my machine suffered a graphics card failure after 14 months. Her next machine was plagued by booting/sleep issues for months. Her latest one had the dedicated graphics card fail after 14 months. Now, my laptop has apparently suffered a total motherboard failure after 18 months from brand new.

This is ridiculous. 1.5 years after spending £3200 on two laptops, we have one half-functioning (hers with a broken dedicated card) left.

What an utter shambles.

After almost a decade of being a customer of this company, I can no longer recommend it to my friends. It's simply not worth spending that amount of money on something that will fail in less than two years. Extended warranties are all well and good, and I was willing to accept that parts fail, and mistakes happen, but this is just insane.

I'm so disappointed. I used to like what the company did, and love the machines.

I can't say the same about these laptops any more.

Update: A mod from /r/Alienware just got back to me with the following response.

Initially it was picked up as spam and the mods have not been on to correct it. I would have been happy to put it back up but since your angrily posting around Reddit like a child trying to stir up a hornets nest, it can stay in the spam section.

So instead of rectifying the mistake, I'm being called an angry child for posting it elsewhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

EDIT: Thanks for the support and recommendations, the advice and stories in here have been really eye-opening.

PLEASE don't start posting in or hassling the /r/Alienware community, I've already been informed they're receiving a backlash and I don't want anyone's holidays being trashed over one comment. The mod has been in touch to apologise, kindly leave the community be.



by Kielm http://ift.tt/2Envzgy

No comments:

Post a Comment