Monday 13 March 2017

Why is it when it's revealed that the CIA or the FBI or the nsa or some other government agency has another way of spying on people, it is generally met by the public with surprise and/or outrage and so forth?

When Snowden documents got released, it seemed fair to me that people were shocked even tho I personally wasn't. I always assumed that the government was trying it's best to collect data from it's people for "national security" purposes. But I could see the situation being that many people had chosen to remain ignorant to the extent to which the government was trying to spy on them and that was the final way for the lid to come off of the whole thing.

But it's now been about 3-4 years since Snowden leak and general population still seems surprised when new spying tactics are revealed. The whole Samsung TV thing for instance. Samsung itself told consumers back in Feb 2015 that people should generally not say anything confidential in front of their TV as it's always listening and people just now are being surprised that it's a method of surveillance. Why the delay in general public understanding of the extent of the surveillance?

I'm not saying the leaks aren't good or informative, it's good to know exactly how we're being spied on just for the sake of being well informed, but being surprised by the information revealed by the leaks seems odd to me.

I don't understand what's preventing people from fully grasping the extent of the situation.

What am I missing or overlooking?

Edit: before I get told this, it doesn't bug me that people are surprised, but rather their surprise surprises me.



by j0hn_r0g3r5 http://ift.tt/2mh6lHj

No comments:

Post a Comment